Monday, May 19, 2008

Missing at Midnight



It was way past our bedtime. Rebecca was finishing our blogs downstairs, while I made the rounds to check on the kids. All the light had been turned out, and everything was just like it should. I opened the door to the boys' room, and saw our oldest sleep ever so gently on his bed dreaming of anything sweet. I turned my head to Kian's bed - it was empty. It happens once in a while that the boy will play with toys and doze off on the floor or in his brother's bed - but no, not this time. My heart started pounding as I checked the windows, turned on all the lights and examined every nook and cranny of the bedroom, hallway, bathroom and living room. Kian was nowhere to be found! All the doors were locked and windows shut, so chances were slim that he had made it outside. I was about to call my wife in a frantic voice when I noticed a heel sticking partly out from beneath the wall side of Kian's bed. I investigated further and found part of his head sticking out from the bottom end of the bed. He had either fallen asleep under there, or rolled under while sleeping. I woke him up, but he had no idea where he was, and needed major assistance to get out. He claimed he was stuck, and I finally was able to fish him out. There is only a few inches between the bottom of the bed and the floor, so it took some creativity to make it happen. But he went to sleep again the moment his head hit the pillow...

No comments: