Saturday, April 26, 2008

Annual Children's Fair




The day had come. We were so looking forward to the day of the Children's Fair, and now it was finally here! The day started off a little shaky with the cold blowing wind and snow of late April, and Karis did not want to get into the car. She usually wants to go somewhere, but today, she was just not in the mood to travel. We normally would have walked to the Civic Center where the event was held, but because of the snow drifts, we decided that delicious smell of breakfast. Pancakes, sausage and taking the nice warm car was better. Orange juice awaited us. We practically took up a whole table with just our family. After arriving, we were invited in by the warm and and people who know us and saw the table were overcome with laughter. We ate and chatted about which tables we would go to first and how we were going to get the two seated stroller down the flight of stairs intact. Finally, everyone was finished with their meal, so we headed towards the staircase. We took Karis out so I (Rebecca) could go in front and carry the stroller and Trond could carry the back. Kobe and Kian were supposed to guide their sister down the stairs behind us. Well...Karis did not want her brothers holding her hand, so she screamed. At the point we were wondering what to do, a kind stranger came and picked her up, and carefully carried her down the stairs for us. She was totally stunned at that point so she did not put up a fuss.
homemade playdoh to picking out We headed for the first area where all the "give away" stuff was. Every table was filled with goodies and treasures for children. They got everything fromfree books to new bicycle helmets. Stickers galore and candy were also readily available. Kobe especially loved the Boy Scouts area. They were making pirate hats and hand hooks, so he and Kian both plunged full and pretend to drive and pick out some new books. After bumping into everything in the sea of throttle into the art projects. They both vowed to join when they were old enough. Another fun thing was the children were allowed to color on a white van that would drive through town. They also could crawl inside people, we managed to finish the first round.
We next entered the second area where there were games, real fire trucks, police cars, etc. We first took the boys to where the big cars were so they could sit in them. Suddenly, I looked down at the stroller, and my purse was not there. At first I felt numb, remembering everything that was in it and how I would never see it again. However, after that I realized that it was what it was and I couldn't do anything more about it except report it and pray that someone had turned it in. Just as I was about to go and tell someone, we discovered that Kian was not near us either. I quickly scanned the area for any sign of that curious boy, and found him in the fire truck, wearing a helmet and pretending to drive. Of all the things I could've lost that day, I'm glad my purse was the only thing. We kept going, getting more souvenirs and seeing more things, when finally I decided to go and report my purse missing. I went to the lost and found and by all miracles, there it was. God had heard my prayer.
The children had to play five games in order to pick a prize. Kobe played ten games and got two prizes and Kian played the required five. They also had games for toddlers and babies. However towards the end of the games, it was past lunchtime and the children were getting tired. When we decided to go, Karis did not want to go. So again we heard screaming. We hauled all of the children out in the wintry blizzard uphill to our van. Fire fighter hats were blowing, balloons were sailing away, and four children from the Knudegaard family were crying. All Trond and I could do was laugh. We were so exhausted ourselves, but all the uproar just made our sense of humor come out in full force. We finally got into the van with everyone buckled in, and drove to get some lunch.
It was a wonderful day,with many happy memories and many funny stories to share for weeks to come. Like Trond said, it will be another 365 days until the next children's fair. We can hardly wait.

No comments: