It was perhaps too late for a walk, so a creative alternative had to be worked out -Not to mention a bit of fun for the ball of energy with teeth. Hmm... We are at a lake in the woods; Yep, throwing sticks in the water for our golden to retrieve. Only one obstacle; he is slightly hydrophobic. The boys and I would take turns standing on top of the bluff overlooking the lake, throwing sticks in the water just beyond the dock. Our pooch would have to go to the outer edge of his comfort-zone, just where his feet would lose touch with the bottom where he was forced to swim. If a stick would go too far he would watch it float by without grabbing it, barely pawing at it. When he caught his prey, he would run up the hill dodging our hands. It was his. If I caught him I had to pry it out if his jaw before throwing it back. Thirty minutes of canine fun - and one soaked dog.
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Wet Dog
After supper and some bike-maintenance, our ankle-biter needed some attention from his family after an afternoon of mild neglect (or at least minimal attention).
It was perhaps too late for a walk, so a creative alternative had to be worked out -Not to mention a bit of fun for the ball of energy with teeth. Hmm... We are at a lake in the woods; Yep, throwing sticks in the water for our golden to retrieve. Only one obstacle; he is slightly hydrophobic. The boys and I would take turns standing on top of the bluff overlooking the lake, throwing sticks in the water just beyond the dock. Our pooch would have to go to the outer edge of his comfort-zone, just where his feet would lose touch with the bottom where he was forced to swim. If a stick would go too far he would watch it float by without grabbing it, barely pawing at it. When he caught his prey, he would run up the hill dodging our hands. It was his. If I caught him I had to pry it out if his jaw before throwing it back. Thirty minutes of canine fun - and one soaked dog.
It was perhaps too late for a walk, so a creative alternative had to be worked out -Not to mention a bit of fun for the ball of energy with teeth. Hmm... We are at a lake in the woods; Yep, throwing sticks in the water for our golden to retrieve. Only one obstacle; he is slightly hydrophobic. The boys and I would take turns standing on top of the bluff overlooking the lake, throwing sticks in the water just beyond the dock. Our pooch would have to go to the outer edge of his comfort-zone, just where his feet would lose touch with the bottom where he was forced to swim. If a stick would go too far he would watch it float by without grabbing it, barely pawing at it. When he caught his prey, he would run up the hill dodging our hands. It was his. If I caught him I had to pry it out if his jaw before throwing it back. Thirty minutes of canine fun - and one soaked dog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment